- Shiatsu Theory & Practice by Carola Beresford-Cooke, pub Singing Dragon. Buy via Amazon (or order through Shiatsu Society (UK) for 20% discount). March 2016 also available as an ebook.
- Human Body, Dorling Kindersley, ISBN 0-7513-3514-2 (as above)
- The Concise Book of Muscles by Chris Jarmey, Lotus Publishing 2nd edition, 2008.
- Year 2 course file will be available at weekend 1 at a cost of £9. Compulsory purchase.
- The Extended Meridians of Zen Shiatsu by Elaine Liechti and Vicky Smyth. Singing Dragon publishers. Available through the Shiatsu Society. Published September 2016
- ‘Zen Shiatsu: How to harmonize Yin + Yang for Better Health’ by Shizuto Masunaga, (not compulsory)
- Meridian Exercises: The Oriental Way to Health and Vitality – February, 1997 by Shizuto Masunaga (Author), Stephen Brown (Translator)
- Wood Becomes Water – Chinese Medicine in Everyday Life by Gail Reichstein. Kodansha. Amazon
- Traditional Acupuncture – The law of the 5 Elements by Dianne M Connelly, Centre for Traditional Acupuncture Inc.
- Between Heaven and Earth by Harriet Beinfield and Efrem Kongold, Ballantine Books, New York, 1991
- Atlas of Shiatsu: The Meridians of Zen Shiatsu Hardcover – 29 Oct 2008 by Wilfried Rappenecker (Author), Meike Kockrick (Author)
- Ocean of Streams by Veet Allen, Omki – well worth considering as it has great colour-in diagrams of meridians.
GENERAL SHIATSU BOOKS
- The Complete Illustrated Guide to Shiatsu: The Japanese Healing Art of Touch for Health and Fitness by Elaine Liechti, Element Books Ltd, Longmead, Shaftesbury, Dorset 1998. Also out of print and also well worth getting hold of if possible.
- Shiatsu, by Nicola Pooley
- Thorsons’s Introductory Guide to Shiatsu by Chris Jarmey, Thorson’s, London 1992
- The Book of Shiatsu by Paul Lundberg, Gaia Books Ltd, London 1992
- Sei-Ki, By Kishi and Whieldon
- Do-it-yourself Shiatsu, by Ohashi
- Tao Shiatsu – life medicine for the 21st century by Ryokyu Endo Japan Publications Inc
- Reading the Body, Ohashi’s Book of Oriental Diagnosis by Ohashi, Aquarian/Thorson’s 1991
- Chinese Medicine: using Traditional Chinese Medicine for Harmony of Mind and Body (Complete Illustrated Guide) by Tom Williams. Out of print but well worth getting hold of second hand.
- Chinese Medicine, The Web that has no Weaver by Ted J Kaptchuk. Rider
- The Yellow Emperors Classic of Internal Medicine, published by University of California Press A New Translation of the Neijing Suwen with Commentary
- The Foundations of Chinese Medicine, by Giovanni Maciocia, Churchill Livingston
- Practical Chinese Medicine by Penelope Ody, Godsfield Press. ASBN 1-84181-027-4
TSUBOS – POINTS
- Manual of Acupuncture Point Cards Peter Deadman and Mazin Al-Khafaji with Kevin Baker, Journal of Medicine Publications, 2001 (order through www.jcm.co.uk or write to them at 22 Cromwell Roda, Hove, East Sussex, BN3 3EB)
- The Way to Locate Acu-Points, edited by Associate Professor Yang Jiasan, Foreign Language Press, Beijing
- A practical guide to Acu points, by Chris Jarmey.
- The Seirin Pictorial Atlas of Acupuncture (eds. Hans P. Ogal and Wolfram Stor)
PREGNANCY, BABIES, WOMEN
- Pregnancy and Childbirth, by Suzanne Yates
- Baby Shiatsu, by Kalbantner-Wernicke and Haase
- Touch for Love, Shiatsu for Your Baby by Wataru Ohashi with Mary Hoover, Ballantine Books NY, ISBN 0-345-30090-4
- Natural Childbirth, the Eastern Way by Wataru Ohashi with Mary Hoover, Ballantine Books NY 0-345-30089-0
- Why Love Matters, by Sue Gerhardt ‘It’s quite cheap and small, but very illuminating about a child’s development.’
- Diary of a Baby by Daniel Stern’s ‘is quite enlightening (especially for those without experience of children!), and is quite compact and easy to read.’
- Shiatsu for Women, by Ray Ridolfi and Suzanne Franzen
CHI / KI
- The Big Book of Chi, by Paul Wildish
- Hands of Light, Barbara Ann Brennan
- As Snowflakes Fall, by Simon Fall
HOW THE BODY RESPONDS TO TOUCH
- Job’s Body – a Handbook for Bodywork by Deane Juhan, Stationhill 2003
- Healing with Wholefoods, Paul Pitchford
- Helping Ourselves, A Guide to Traditional Food Energetics by Daverick Leggett, Meridian Press, PO Box 3, Totnes, England TQ9 5WJ
ANATOMY, PHYSIOLOGY AND PATHOLOGY
- Understanding Diseases; A Health Practitioners Handbook by John Ball. Amazon
- You might also need a physiology book or medical encyclopaedia of your own choice, such as Ross and Wilson Anatomy and Physiology in Health and Illness, 12th Edition by Anne Waugh BSc(Hons) MSc CertEd SRN RNT FHEA (Author), Allison Grant BSc PhD RGN (Author)
- Year 3 course file will be available at weekend 1 at a cost of £9. Compulsory purchase.
- The Extended Meridians of Zen Shiatsu by Elaine Liechti and Vicky Smyth. Singing Dragon books. Available through the Shiatsu Society. Published September 2016.
- The Muscle Book by Paul Blakey, Bibliotek Books (as above)
- Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology by Martini, Prentice Hall
- 5 Elements: http://www.sacredlotus.com/theory/elements/
- 5 Elements: http://www.tcmworld.org/what-is-tcm/the-five-elements/
- Acupressure Points: www.yinyanghouse.com
- Acupressure Points: http://www.acupuncture.com/education/points/
DVD / VIDEO
- Meridians of Shiatsu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ4tuxpFnMI&feature=youtu.be Carola Beresford-Cooke
- Visible Body
- Visual Anatomy
- Tsubo app https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tsubook-shiatsu/id1099214874?mt=8&l=en&store=apple
- WORDS THAT TOUCH (book) https://www.amazon.com/Words-that-Touch-Questions-Therapists/dp/184819336X/
*The Shiatsu Society website www.shiatsusociety.org has an on-line book shop
Regrettably, some of these books are only available second hand as they are out of print.